SILVERY SANDS RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION

 

MINUTES OF ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

HELD AT ST PETERS CHURCH HALL, MONDAY 20th MARCH 2006

 

Apologies: were received from Richard.O’Halloran, Brian Street, Ann and Don Peake.

 

Minutes of the last meeting: The minutes of the last meeting were accepted, proposed by Tony James and seconded by David Rowley.

 

Matters arising:  There were no matters arising.

 

 

CHAIRMANS REPORT:

 

In overall terms, I believe that the Association has undertaken its functions during the past year in a way that has been satisfactory to most members. Inevitably, there have been one or two rumblings of discontent on certain issues, but with an Association of our size, it is not easy to please everybody all the time. I will briefly summarize the main issues your committee has dealt with over the past year, and highlight where any points of contention, or a lack of interest, may have arisen.

 

The main issue is of course road maintenance, and last July saw repairs and treatment undertaken to the surface of Thameside. The treatment consisted of applying two different chemical solutions to the road surface. The first coat is designed to rejuvenate and extend the life of the existing tarmac surface. The second coat, which is applied when the existing surface is in a more advanced state of decay, seals the surface to prevent water ingress, and thereby reduces the effect of frost damage and weathering. Application of this second coat means that after it has rained puddles remain longer than they did before. Puddles now disperse mainly through evaporation rather than seeping into the tarmac surface and the road base. A few residents have expressed some dissatisfaction about the puddles, but this is exactly what should happen. The alternative is to resurface with new tarmac at more than double the cost, which in turn is not acceptable to every resident. Furthermore, any new coat of tarmac increases the height of the road surface and in some places that will start to bring about problems between raised road level heights and adjacent properties. In other words, this means that with heavy rainfall water may start to run off into garages or gardens at particular locations. To overcome this problem, certain stretches of road may need to be excavated and a new base laid prior to resurfacing, leading to further significant increases in cost. So far, the treatment applied last year to Thameside seems to have weathered satisfactorily, and the lane has not yet shown signs of any further significant degradation. We can now only give this process the test of time to see how well the treatment lasts.

 

The other road maintenance issue that has been progressed during the past year concerns the proposal to erect gateway effect posts at the beginning of the un-adopted stretch of Wheatsheaf Lane. It was agreed at last year’s AGM that the Association should, in the first instance, seek planning permission. An application was made towards the end of last year, and Spelthorne Council has recently granted approval. It will remain valid for three years. A few residents expressed reservations about this proposal last year, and in order to judge the feeling of residents who may not have attended the last AGM, views in principle were requested in April’s Newsletter. 39 households responded, with 32 in favour and 7 against. An updated quotation for this project has also been obtained, which may promote further thought by members. Our future action on this issue, and on road surface maintenance, will be discussed later on this agenda.

 

During September, Spelthorne Council produced a proposal for a public open space and a possible playground on the Wheatsheaf Lane field. To understand the Council’s proposal and intentions more fully, a few members of the committee subsequently met with the Council’s planning officer.  At the same time, the committee had been approached by the Chairman of the Strode’s Foundation Trustees, the owners of the field, who wanted to explain their latest aspirations for housing development on the land. The October Newsletter outlined the broad facts that emerged from these two bodies, and asked for residents views. 29 households responded, of whom 25 were against the Council’s proposals, while 4 gave qualified support. The Association wrote to the Council, summarizing the views of residents who had responded to the newsletter. The latest information I have is that the Council’s Executive Committee will meet on the 25th April and decide whether they will proceed any further with their proposal.

 

In June, some members of the committee met with the Surrey Police Officer responsible for coordinating the Neighbourhood Watch Scheme in Spelthorne. He outlined how the scheme operates, which essentially is a two-way mechanism for disseminating information about local crime. The October Newsletter attached a flyer from Spelthorne Neighbourhood Watch inviting residents to join the scheme under the umbrella of our Residents Association. Only 18 households responded. Gulbin, our secretary, provides a point of contact with the local Crime Reduction Officer, from whom she receives regular reports on local crime or scams. These messages are forwarded on to those Neighbourhood Watch members who have provided an e-mail address. If nothing else, they keep you alert. It would be helpful to support Gulbin Chaworth-Musters (no 87 Thames Side) by having a co-coordinator for Riverside Close and Wheatsheaf Lane. There is not much involved in this task, and if anyone would like to volunteer, please let Gulbin know at the end of the meeting. There are also some stickers available which can be placed in windows or doors. Please help yourselves when you leave.

 

The summer party was well supported last year. 40 households were represented, with a total of 123 adults and 21 children joining in the fun. And we made a profit! Many people contributed to make the occasion work successfully, not least being Nicky Jones and her band of ladies who organized the catering. My thanks are extended to everyone who helped. Proposals for a party his year will be discussed later on the agenda.

 

Membership of the Association remains fairly constant with subscriptions paid from 64 households for last year. The only time when the Association might have some leverage in respect of non-payers is when their property is being sold. On some occasions, solicitors acting for purchasers make enquiries about the status of the Association, and their clients’ liability for future road repairs. If this happens, and where payments may be outstanding from the existing householder, the Association will ask for any outstanding payments to be paid prior to completion. If this should not be forthcoming, it is explained that road repairs to the frontage of the property in question may not be undertaken by the Association in the future. The possible effect of the Association’s stance upon the impending sale might just help to obtain some funds from non-payers before they move.

 

Finally, it only remains for me to extend my grateful thanks to all members of the committee for giving their time, their help, their advice and their support during the course of the last year.  

 

TREASURERS REPORT:

 

The Treasurer submitted a balance sheet showing income and expenditure for the year to 31.12.2005.

 

Out of 84 houses, 64 paid for 2005, with a total of £3,994.00  in subscriptions received in 2005.  The treasurer informed the meeting that a Nationwide Treasurer’s Account that has been opened in 2005 brought an interest of £120.77. Additionally the summer party has brought £258.08 profit. With the balance brought forward from 2004 the total funds available in 2005 were £12,599.99.

 

After going through the expenditure for the year (AGM room hire, road repairs, planning permission) we were left with a balance in the account at the end of 2005 of £3,497.30.  Following discussion and a vote, it was agreed, that the subscription for 2006 would be £63 an increase of £1. Yearly subscription runs from January to December.

 

The accounts that have been previously audited by David Rowley, were accepted by the members, proposed by David Blum and seconded by David Rowley.

 

The committee decided not to contribute to ThamesAwash this year.

 

 

ELECTION OF COMMITTEE:

 

Geoff Richardson agreed to remain and stand as chairman and the remaining members, Linda Graves, Paul Dodd, Bob Douglas, Richard O’Halloran, Alan Seward and Gulbin Chaworth-Musters all agreed to stand again and were proposed by Tony James and seconded by Brian Hobday.

 

The current committee were prepared to stand again and were duly elected for one more year.

 

They do hope that there will be some new blood willing to stand next year.

 

 

ROAD MAINTENANCE

 

A proposal was made to rejuvenate Wheatsheaf Lane for £3,342 using the same treatment applied to Thames Side last year. It is expected to last approximately five years but we will have to wait and see. Wheatsheaf lane is in better condition than Thames Side and it was recommended that we act this year to preserve the current good condition.

 

A vote was taken to rejuvenate Wheatsheaf Lane this year and was unanimously accepted.

 

 


Entrance “Gateway  in  Wheatsheaf Lane

 

The current proposal for an entrance “gateway” was put forward by the committee. The purpose of this is to reduce the amount of cars entering Wheatsheaf lane either for pub parking or for river access. This will reduce congestion and wear and tear on our roads. The council has advised that posts would be a better solution than having a gate or barrier and would have the same psychological affect

 

The proposal is for two sets of posts placed slightly into the road forming a narrower entry with a pedestrian passage each side. This is slightly enhanced from last year to include:-

 

·          Pedestrian passages on the verge side of the posts which has been added for liability reasons

·          Bollards to prevent people from parking right up against the posts

 

This has increased the price slightly from last year with two options:-

 

1.       Oak post £2293 which might look better

2.       Steel post £2242 which would be practically maintenance free

 

Plus £250 for the appropriate signage which is required to protect us against possible liability.

 

Several members requested a barrier similar to Penton Hook Rd. The committee had been advised by the council to apply for posts. It was thought it would be unlikely to get planning permission since there had been a vehicular right of way to a ferry at the bottom of Wheatsheaf lane. A member pointed out that he had it on good authority from a member of the council that any previous access to something that was in use many years would no longer be applicable to any planning permission and since it is a private road we are entitled to put a barrier.

 

A vote was taken to gauge the opinion in the meeting which was 16 for and 9 against out of 25 house holds. The issue was deferred as there only 25 house holds present. A bulletin will be sent out with the next news letter detailing the proposal and requesting a response. Following the result of the response there will be an EGM to make a decision on this issue.

 

SUMMER PARTY

 

The 2005 summer party took place on the 25th of June and in spite of the cool weather the event was considered to be a great success with 140 people attending. The association made a profit of £258.00.

 

A proposal was put to the meeting to hold a party this year. The proposal was accepted.

 

·          Nicky Jones has volunteered to organise the catering

·          Phil Berquist has volunteered to arrange the music

·          Due to the world cup Sat 17th of June was proposed and accepted

 

The barbeques were a problem last year with 8 BBQs cooking at different temperature. It was proposed that either:

1.       We hire a decent BBQ for around £50

2.       Have cold food

 

The meeting agreed for option (2) with one BBQ to cook sausages and burgers for children.

 

It was proposed and accepted that we raise the price this year to £7.50 and £3.75 for children.

 

To reduce the problem caused by last minute bookers it was agreed that there would be a cut off one week before the event.

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

 

1.       Surrey Police are having Staines Urban Panel meeting at Christ Church on Wednesday 12 April from 7:30-9:00.

2.       Wheatsheaf lane hedgerows are getting full of litter. The association no longer has liability insurance hence litter clean up days must be organised as friendly groups of neighbours and not through the association.

3.       The trees at the corner of the post office are pushing up through the pavement and are right next to the street drains. This is a council issue. There was concern about the safety issue. The association agreed to write a letter to the council to add fuel to the fire.

4.       A round of applause was proposed and given for the hard work of the committee over the year.

 

 The meeting closed at 9.25 pm